Saturday, July 11, 2015

Work Log: Princess of the Crystal (Mawaru Penguindrum) #1

Yesterday I started and finished the bodice for my Princess of the Crystal cosplay for Otakon.  I'm super shocked that I managed to complete it in one day.


The day before, I spent the day making samples and doing trial and error with muslin.  I started with a cheap Strapless Top pattern from Etsy during my research.  I made one out of muslin in my suggested size and it fit perfectly, but was shorter in the front that I wanted, so for my final product I just added 3 inches to the front.

The next step was the figure out how to add the points to the front (and back).  I made sample after sample, never quite getting them to fit correctly.  It would look good, but because I was just making the top longer, there wasn't any flare to accommodate my hips.  Then I had the epiphany that I could just modify a peplum and everything fell into place.

I used the How to Sew a Peplum tutorial from It's Always Autumn that I already had pinned on Pinterest and voil√† my pattern was complete.  So I started yesterday afternoon and by the end of the night I had completed the top.

I used 1/2" gold metallic bias tape for the gold trim, the bottom white trim is eyelet trim and the white lines across the front are 1/4" twill tape. I have to go back to Hancock a buy two more buttons for the bottom row, because I thought I already had two, but didn't.  I am however, done!

Next I'll be working on the black armwarmers and the puffy white cuffs she has on. I'm sort of procrastinating to avoid figuring out the skirt, but I'll most likely start that tomorrow. I have an idea for making the skirt puff out like hers, but I'll get to that in another post.

Happy Cosplaying!!

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an old post and all, but your step-by-step process helps!! Thank you!!! This is so professionally done and I really hope mine will turn out good OTL

    ReplyDelete