Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Work Log: Esdeath (Akame Ga Kill) #4

 
So, due to unforeseen circumstances (e.g. basically people requiring me to do things for them unexpectedly), it took me longer to finish Esdeath's belt and hat than I wanted.  I am, however, finished and think I did a pretty good job.


 For the belt, I just bought 1 1/2" leather strapping from the fabric store. The cross is craft foam that I cut, sealed with Plasti-Dip and then painted.  It's a black cross on top of a silver cross.  The ends of the belt are covered with silver stretch polyester, and then the belt and cross are joined by a piece of felt in the back.






For the hat, instead of making a hat from scratch, I bought a black military style hat from Amazon.  "Why black?", you ask.  Black so that the part of the rim that was left sticking out would be black as it is supposed to be.



I measured the top portion, and the circumference of the hat, and sewed it on to cover the hat.  The front black portion is faux leather, cut to shape and then trimmed with bias tape.  I already had the chain leftover from a previous project, and just hand-sewed that on.  I think the hat turned out really well and I'm super excited to wear it.


I don't have a picture of the thigh highs because I'm still not happy with the way they turned out.  Trying to sew on the black "collar" portion has been difficult.  I'm able to do it, but I don't like the way they turn out and am worried that they won't stay up at the con.  I'm going to try just making the "collar" separately, then simply attaching it with double sided tape instead of sewing it on.  That way the thigh high will maintain it's own stretchiness.  Then I'll just have to hand-sew the Xs on.  When I do that, I'll take pics and let you know how it turned out.

Now that I'm basically done with Esdeath, I'm going to start working on The Princess of the Crystal, from Mawaru Penguindrum.  I'm excited about this one because I love outrageous outfits.  Do you??

Happy Cosplaying!



No comments:

Post a Comment