Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Work Log: Princess of the Crystal (Mawaru Penguindrum) #5







The last thing I had to do for this cosplay was to make her fluffy arm cuffs.  It took me a while to figure out what to do, but I realized that they are similar to Elizabethan collars.  So I went on a search to find a tutorial for that and immediately found two easy ones on my favorite site, YouTube.


The first video by Sumikins was on How to Make an Easy Elizabethan Ruffle.  Hers was made as a collar.  Although the audio on this was a little low, it was indeed an easy tutorial.  She hand-sewed her ruffle and it was attached to a ribbon that was tied around her neck.  Since mine was to go on my arm, I machine-sewed a cuff that would fit my arm, with elastic in the middle to make it snug and keep it on.  The base cuff is 4" tall, because that's how tall I decided my ruffles would be, and is 10.5" around, but scrunches to 9.5 because that's the circumference of my upper arm.  I also machine-sewed on the same eyelet trim from the rest of this cosplay on the top and bottom of the cuff BEFORE hand-sewing on the ruffle.

I combined Sumikins tutorial with Axceleration Cosplay's Harley Quinn cuff tutorial.  What I liked about this one was that she pre-marked on her base ribbon where the ribbon for the cuff would be attached.  She marked increments of 3/8" on the base ribbon and then machine sewed her ruffle together. 

I, however, did the following:
1. I marked out the 3/8" increments on my already made cuffs at the top and bottom edges.

2. I marked the 4" increments on white 1.5" wide grograin ribbon.  This ribbon is used to make the ruffle.

3. Using Sumikins method, I hand-sewed the ribbon into a ruffle be matching each 4" mark on the ribbon, to one of the 3/8" marks on the base cuff.  Just like Sumikin, once I had attached the top to the base cuff, I then flipped it over, and did the same thing for the bottom of the cuff.

This was super easy, and I hope that my explanation was clear, lol.  If not, feel free to ask questions.

Happy cosplay!

(Added 8/17/15 - I LOVE how these turned out and they only took me about an hour to make from start to finish.  I got so many compliments on them, and no one believed that they were actually the easiest part of the cosplay.)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this guide, I'm going to be taking lots of inspiration from it to make my own version! yours looks amazing

    ReplyDelete